Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, Inc. has been selected to host a legal fellow over two years as part of the Equal Justice Works Disaster Recovery Legal Corps. The fellowship must begin by July 2018.
The Equal Justice Works Disaster Recovery Legal Corps is a cohort of approximately twenty Legal Fellows placed at nonprofit legal services organizations in Texas and Florida for a two-year fellowship term to provide direct services, educate community members, and leverage volunteer resources in order to ensure that low-income individuals directly affected by Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma have access to a range of legal services needed to stabilize and rebuild their lives.
The legal fellow will be supervised by Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, Inc. and will be based in South or West Texas.
Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, Inc. Fellowship Description:
The Equal Justice Disaster Recovery Legal Corps Fellow will:
• Provide legal services to residents of South and West Texas impacted by natural disasters, including representation in disaster-related legal matters such as:
- FEMA appeals;
- clearing title to real estate and/or manufactured homes;
- insurance and other consumer issues;
- disaster-related employment, landlord-tenant, and/or foreclosure cases; and
- other legal matters arising from the impact of disasters on housing and the local economy.
- Conduct outreach and education activities, and leverage pro bono resources
- Participate in broader advocacy efforts seeking systemic improvement in the administration of assistance to disaster survivors
- Collaborate with other Equal Justice Works Disaster Recovery Legal Fellows
- Collect and provide data on a quarterly basis relating to clients served, services provided, outcomes, and other information as requested by Equal Justice Works
- Actively participate in mandatory substantive and skills-based training programs including: Disaster Recovery Legal Corps kick off training (early summer 2018) and learning event at the close out of the fellowship; annual three-day Equal Justice Works Leadership Development Training in Washington, DC in October/November 2018 and 2019; and the Equal Justice Conference in Louisville, Kentucky in May 2019 (note that travel and lodging costs for these trainings will be covered by Equal Justice Works)
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A demonstrated commitment to public interest work and desire to assist indigent clients
- Strong writing, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- An ability and desire to work collaboratively in a variety of contexts and with multiple organizations
- Prior experience in managing independent projects or assignments
- Ability to begin the fellowship by June 2018
- Those with legal experience in issues pertaining to disaster recovery services strongly encouraged to apply
- Law school clinic, externship, summer or other relevant practice experience a plus
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Texas
- 0 to 3 years experience preferred
Salary and other support:
The Fellow will receive an annual salary, as well as health insurance and other benefits. Interested applicants should contact Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, Inc. with any follow-up questions.
Other Benefits Provided by Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, Inc.
• TRLA offers 100% employer-paid medical, dental, life ($50,000), short-term and long-term disability benefits.
• Dependent coverage is also available under the medical and dental policies
• Low cost voluntary vision plan
• 401(k) Profit-Sharing Retirement Plan
• Loan Repayment Assistance Program
• Paid time off
• Continuing Legal Education opportunities
• State Bar fee reimbursement
• Position related travel reimbursement
Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, Inc. is a nonprofit organization that provides free civil legal services and related education to low-income and disadvantaged residents living in the 68 counties of central, south, and west Texas, as well as migrant farm workers across the state. Our staff works relentlessly in service of our mission — to promote the dignity, self-sufficiency, safety, and stability of low-income Texans by providing high quality civil legal assistance and related educational services.
Interested candidates should email a letter of interest and resume as soon as possible to email@example.com with the subject line: Disaster Recovery Legal Corps Fellowship – [Your Last Name]. The letter of interest should clearly refer to the Equal Justice Works Disaster Recovery Legal Corps Fellowship position. Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. The Equal Justice Works Disaster Recovery Legal Corps Fellow is scheduled to begin the term of service no later than July 2018.
Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status.
Application Deadline: As soon as possible, as the term of service is scheduled to begin no later than July 2018.