Staff Attorney – Disaster Assistance, Corpus Christi

Texas RioGrande Legal Aid seeks a full-time Staff Attorney in Corpus Christi, Texas, for its Disaster Assistance Team. The Disaster Assistance team provides disaster-related legal services to clients through TRLA’s service area. Since 2002, when TRLA merged with four other legal service organizations located in our 68-county service region, TRLA has responded to fifteen federally declared disasters throughout our service region. TRLA has worked with clients immediately following the disaster and for months, sometimes years, afterward. The disasters impacting TRLA’s service area have included tropical storms and hurricanes (including Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005 and Hurricane Dolly in 2008, and Hurricane Harvey in 2017); wildfires in Central Texas; and severe storms, tornadoes and/or flooding in El Paso, Eagle Pass, Laredo, Central Texas, the Gulf Coast, and the Rio Grande Valley.

The attorney will focus his/her efforts primarily on direct service to clients, handling FEMA administrative matters, as well as a variety of other types of disaster-related cases which may include, but are not limited to:

• Landlord-tenant matters
• Clearing title to real estate or mobile homes
• Avoiding foreclosure
• Resolving insurance or other consumer disputes
• Helping clients replace identification or immigration documents, or important documents such as wills or powers of attorney
• Assistance in disaster-related litigation
• Developing resource and training materials for the Disaster Assistance Team and for volunteer attorneys providing disaster-related legal services to low-income clients
• Developing brochures for disaster-related outreach and community education
• Developing resource and training materials for staff involved in disaster outreach


  1. Licensed to practice in the applicable state or be willing to apply and take the applicable Bar exam at the next available opportunity.
  2. Preference given to those persons bilingual in English and Spanish.
  3. A valid driver’s license and willingness to travel.