Texas RioGrande Legal Aid seeks an attorney to provide civil legal services to veterans. The attorney will be located in the Rio Grande Valley
The attorney will provide extended civil services to veterans and their dependents in a wide range of civil legal matters including housing, probate, benefits, consumer, employment, homelessness, and family law
The attorney will provide direct legal services to those who are eligible under grantors’ rules, and will collaborate closely with community partners, including veteran service organizations, Department of Veteran Affairs medical facilities, and service providers for veterans living in homelessness.
The candidates must be self-directed, empathetic, and motivated. Among other duties, the attorney will:
- Evaluate clients’ claims and assess civil legal remedies.
- Represent clients in all stages of litigation and in all forms of advocacy.
- Establish and maintain relationships with community partners.
- Support civil legal services for veterans throughout the 68-county TRLA service area, as well as in 114 Northwest Texas counties where the veteran or family member is the survivor of sexual assault.
- Provide counsel to individuals seeking civil legal assistance.
- Prepare and conduct community outreach.
JD from accredited university.
Admitted to the State Bar of Texas, or willing to take next Texas Bar Exam.
- Dedication to and experience in serving low-income populations.
- Experience working with veterans.
- Experience working with community services/partners.
- Fluent in English and Spanish, written and spoken.