A staff attorney is needed by the Domestic Violence/Family Law Team in the Edinburg office. Family law attorneys represent victims of recent domestic violence and sexual assault refused services by local prosecutors for a Protective Order; shelter residents who are victims of recent domestic violence or sexual assault; recent domestic violence and sexual assault victims in other family law matters. The attorney will screen clients for eligibility, provide direct legal services to those determined to be eligible, and will collaborate closely with community partners, including domestic violence shelters and rape crisis centers.
The candidate must be self-directed, empathetic, and motivated. Among other duties, the attorney will:
• Represent family violence and sexual assault victims in family law litigation;
• Establish and maintain relationships with community partners;
• Prepare and conduct community outreach.
• Licensed to practice law in Texas, able to waive into the Texas bar, or willing to take the next available bar exam, in that order of preference;
• Preference for lawyers who are functionally fluent in Spanish at a professional level;
• Maintain continuing legal education requirements.
• Dedication to and experience in serving low-income populations;
• Strong writing, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
• An ability and desire to work collaboratively in a variety of contexts and with multiple organizations
• Experience working with survivors of trauma with family law (law school clinic experience included).