Legal Secretary will be recruited, hired and assigned by the Branch Manager, and be subject to discipline or removal according to the standard employment policies applicable to all TRLA secretaries.
The candidate should be detailed-oriented, punctual, self-driven, able to work on multiple assignments at once, and sympathetic towards low-income persons. Work schedule is Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., plus additional hours if occasionally requested to meet deadlines.
- Type, file, and handle clerical office matters for the several paralegals and attorneys to whom the secretary is assigned;
- Manage incoming and outgoing mail, faxes, and telephone calls;
- Assist in overflow work to ensure smooth office operations;
- Translate documents and/or act as interpreter when needed;
- Maintain client files and applications and complete assigned work on case files within the required time frame;
- Coordinate schedules and maintain case requirements calendar of casehandlers, including contacting existing clients, schedule interview, and convey messages;
- Drafting, editing, formatting and printing legal documents, correspondence, and reports in Microsoft Word, Excel, or Publisher, including preparing standard pleadings for review by attorneys;
- Managing and purchasing supplies, office equipment and furnishings; and,
- Miscellaneous administrative duties, including time sheets for payroll, travel reimbursement requests, and docket maintenance.
- Proficiency in the Windows operating system, Microsoft Word and Excel applications, and computer data entry;
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, both written and spoken;
- Minimum of two years secretary experience;
- Type minimum of 45 words per minute;
- Licensed to notarize documents or willing to become licensed;
- Preferred experience in a law office or an Associate’s degree as a paralegal;